Monday, May 2, 2016

Touchdown

 
Day 2

I'd like to start by expressing my amazement in this little filly. She has such a good brain, and is honestly the smartest little horse I've ever had the pleasure of working with. 
The ground was still slippery so we didn't do anything too strenuous. Another low pressure day that ended with some awesome progress!


We started the day with some clean up, she was particularly nosey, and pulled a pile of wet hay or two just to drop it on the ground. She has started eating her grain throughout the day, so we added a garlic kind of supplement to try and keep the flies away. Until we get fly spray down it is probably our best bet. I will update tomorrow whether or not she actually eats it.

Today's training consisted a lot of approach and retreat starting with hay. Yesterday night I left with her eating out of my hand, but relectuantly. Today I had her following me around the pen taking hay from my hand without much trouble. After we went through a about a flake I took a break and did some barn chores. 
  Since the hay trick was working so well, I decided to move on to try and touch her. Of course she is such a cool little horse, she was practically napping as I got closer and closer. Within a small amount of time I was able to reach out and stroke her shoulder. No drama. No freak outs. There is nothing that was going to get that dumb old smile off my face.

It wasn't her touching my boot, or my pizza box, but actually getting a hand on her shoulder. If I wasn't officially in love when I picked her up, there is no doubt in my mind that I am now. 
 
So I called it a day with the training. She got her dinner. What a fantastic end to day two. I can't wait to wake up for day 3!

Till Tomorrow!
-Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment